Tuesday, December 12, 2006

when asked, a good friend will tell you the truth even when they know you don't want to hear it

crosses from the christmas my mother-in-law passed away
I wrote the other day that I was considering checking into medical marijuana. My plan was to try it and then approach my doctors to get a perscription for it.

Well, I don't know anyone who uses it, where to get it, how to do it, etc. I have a friend who used to, so I asked him about it.

He knew what I wanted to hear, because I could hear the change in his voice when he said what I didn't want to hear.

"Get it through your doctor."

He suggested I ask my doctor FIRST and try it through them. He had a point, I quickly realized that it may not look good for me if I've tried it, more than once and THEN ask. Perhaps it would look like I was just trying to get what is normally an illegal drug. He had a point. Makes sense. But it's scarry. Which doctor should I ask and when?

I don't think I'll ask my neurologist because I think he wants to try a lot of different things, which I would still like to try. It just takes so blasted long.

I think I'll contact the pain clinic I went through and ask them what the normal protocol is on this. I know these people are "on my side" and want to see my pain managed. Perhaps its reserved for people who have pain everyday. I don't know. All I know is that for the past few weeks 2 days is the maximum I've had between headaches.

I have one right now.

I'm hoping that I could use it sometimes as a "rescue med" when I've exhausted the other supplies of medicine that I have here. I know you can use it regularly to prevent them but it's probably not the best medicine of choice for that. But it's better than nothing, which is where I'm at now in the midst of trying to find something to work.

With how long the process takes it could happen in a few weeks (finding something to prevent) or it could take a year or more. It's just such a stinking long process, and all I care about is today and tomorrow.

Also, since it's ten days before my period, today was my day to start prozac and I've decided to take 20 mg. everyday. I had the choice between 10-20 mg.

No comments: